All high school students are eligible for exam exemptions.
Students may be exempted at the point when final grades are being given, either first or second semester.
Students may not be exempt from final exams required by the NC Department of Public Instruction. These final exams which students may not exempt include End of Course tests, CTE course final exams, North Carolina Final Exams, and others that may be identified.
Students may be exempted from exams in one-unit of credit semester block classes or two-unit of credit yearlong block classes or one-unit year-long classes:
- with a grade of A and no more than five absences per class period
- with a grade of B and no more than three absences per class period<./li>
- with a grade of C and zero absences per class period
- with a grade of A and no more than two absences per class period
- with a grade of B and no more than one absence per class period
- with a grade of C and no more than zero absences per class period
- Death in the immediate family
- Religious holiday
- College scholarship interview
Please note: students may have a maximum of three total absences for any or all of these occurrences, not three for each category.