Licensure ensures employees in our school system meet the qualification and educational expectations to serve the students within our school district. Licensure also assures that professional school personnel engage in ongoing professional learning so they continually improve the quality of instructional support provided to students in Winston Salem/Forsyth County Schools.
Employees of Winston Salem/Forsyth County Schools are required by the State Board of Education to hold an appropriate license for the subject, grade level, or assignment taught. It is important to note that licensure requirements are dictated by this state, and the Local Educational Agency (LEA) must comply with these regulations. If you have not done so already, you are required to file your licensure application packet within 30 days of employment. The following items are required:
- Application for a North Carolina Teacher License
- Legible official transcript(s) that show the type of degree(s) you were awarded and the date awarded
- Certificates or licenses held in other states (a license in another state does not preclude your having to meet North Carolina requirements)
- Verification by Educational Institution (To be completed by institution where any/all advanced degrees were received, i.e., masters, advanced, doctorate)
- Test Scores (NTE, PRAXIS, Pearson) Note: If scores are not available, appropriate tests must be taken prior to employment consideration. For some core subject areas, the test will be required before you are eligible for a position.
- Verification of Teaching Experience (form can be accessed here)
- Processing fees will apply
It is critical that you complete your licensure requirements as early as possible. Licensure application forms can be downloaded from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction or by going to: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/licensure/forms/.
Contacts:HR Senior Licensure Specialist:Sherri GilliamPhone: 336.727.2324Fax: 336.661.6536HR Licensure Specialist:Holly HamiltonPhone: 336.748.4000 ext 70862HR Licensure Specialist:Chaundra SimmonsPhone: 336.727.2323Not sure who you need? Ask Licensure at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many things to consider with Teacher Licensure. You are encouraged to read the information below and then contact a Licensure Specialist if you still have questions. We are here to help!