- Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools
- Front Page
Board of Education Wrap-Up
September 13, 2023 – The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education adopted a proclamation recognizing Attendance Awareness Month during their meeting on Tuesday night.
Attendance Awareness Month is a time to reflect on the importance of every minute that students spend in the classroom. Chronic absenteeism, whether it’s brought on by economic constraints, emotional matters, physical obstacles, or any other inhibiting factors, consistently results in worse academic outcomes for students. On the other hand, regular attendance leads to a stronger sense of community, belonging, and support that makes students feel more invested in their education.
This Attendance Awareness Month, WS/FCS is reaffirming its commitment to combatting chronic absenteeism. By having the necessary conversations with students, families, educators, civic leaders, local partners and the whole school community, the district can tear down the barriers that create absenteeism and do a better job than ever of setting every student up for long-term success.
“We hereby commit to focusing on reducing absenteeism and addressing the factors that cause students to miss school in order to ensure all children an equitable opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive academically, emotionally, and socially,” reads the proclamation. “We recognize that we must work together to build an engaging school environment that motivates attendance and sends the message that learning can and must continue.”
Also on the board’s agenda for the evening were:
- A performance from the Reynolds High School Syncopate A Capella group
- Recognition for Lena Pearson from West Forsyth High School and her selection to join the Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) National Student Leadership Council
- A review of the district’s 2022-23 end of grade and end of course test results
- Approval of an MOU for before/after school care providers, the final budget transfers of the 2023 fiscal year, and the Home Field Advantage request to grade and install bleachers for the future Reynolds/Wiley stadium
The Board of Education will meet again on Tuesday, September 26 at 6:30 pm.