- Reynolds High School
2021-2022 Student/Parent Handbook
Click for link to the 2021-2022 Student/Parent Handbook
- Students are expected to be appropriately dressed at all times. This will ensure an educational environment that is inviting, respectful, and supportive for everyone. All students are responsible for complying with the dress code during school hours and school activities. Students found to be inappropriately attired will be asked to change clothes or will be required to have someone bring appropriate clothing.
The guidelines listed below will help students and parents in determining appropriate attire.
- SHIRTS/TOPS: The following attire is NOT considered acceptable: See-through shirts, tank tops less than 2” shoulder width, sleeveless attire with wide arm openings, such as basketball jersey or workout shirts etc.; spaghetti-strap tops and dresses, bare midriffs, razor back, V-neck or low-cut necklines, including provocative, revealing attire that exposes a student’s chest. All shirts should cover the top of the bottoms (pants, shorts, skirts, etc.) or must be tucked in.
- PANTS/LEGGINGS: Pants should be always worn securely at the waistline. Fashion trends that reveal undergarments are not acceptable.
- DRESSES, SKIRTS, & SHORTS: Dresses, skirts and shorts should be long enough to cover the mid- thigh. A fair measurement is below the tips of your fingers when your hands are held by your sides. NO ONE WILL MEASURE.
- HEAD ATTIRE: The following attire is NOT considered acceptable: hats, caps, bandanas, head scarves, sunglasses, hoodies or sun visor caps or garments which cover the student’s face or conceal the student’s identity unless the headwear is worn based on a sincerely held religious belief or practice and the office has been notified.
- Shirts and shoes must be always worn at school. Bedroom shoes or slippers are not acceptable to wear. No bare feet.
- Attire which uses or depicts hate speech targeting groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, etc. is not permitted.
- Clothing that contains advertisements for tobacco, alcohol, or drugs; pictures or graphics of nudity; words that are profane, lewd, vulgar, or indecent is not permitted.
- Underpants or bras showing or worn as outerwear, sleepwear (pajamas, night gowns, lounging pants, etc.) is not permitted.
- Any attire that tends to disrupt the teaching/learning process is not permitted. This leaves open professional discretion as enforcement. This will secure a safe, orderly, and respectful learning environment for everyone.
The administration of R.J. Reynolds High School has the authority to exercise their discretion and judgment in matters pertaining to student attire.
Staff will equitably enforce the school dress code and work to enforce it without disproportionately impacting certain student groups and/or shaming any students.
Dress and grooming of a student rest primarily with the student and the parents or guardians. Parents or guardians are responsible for ensuring student compliance with the school dress code.